View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM
XStremely XSive

xs 400

Ok Smithman...I have a 81 xs 400 myself, tryen to get it back up to snuff so to speak. I'm haven the same prob with the high idle when I shift myself. Still tryen to figure that out. Will let you know if I fix that. Looking at your pics......your 1# spark plug wire looks like its toast. Change both of them. The white stuff looks like chain grease...the spray kind. Look at all your elect. connections. Pull them apart and clean, clean, clean. I use denatured alcohol and a q tip. Whats goen on with your fuel line????? Get you some clear line and get rid of what ever that piece is inline. Make sure when you take the carbs off that you make sure the carb boots between the heads and carbs are snugged up, with no cracks. I've gotten many parts off of E-Bay....just type in xs400 and 1200 or so parts will show up. Check out the ground cable where it is connected to the frame.....clean that down to metal. I hope this will get ya goen....need any more help just ask, I don't know everything about this bike but it's very similar to my 81 xs 1100.
2007 vtx 1300
81 sx 1100 s h
81 sx 400 special