Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Other Bike Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Master of XSology

Very cool Kurt...Wheres the like button???
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Got to See & Hear the FZR a few days ago

Kurt sure is making excellent progress on getting this bike roadworthy and ready to ride at the Iron Horse.
It really is a beautiful machine.

Exhaust note has a real nice GROWL, and has quite the BARK when you open up the throttle

Jeff

'73 Norton 850 Commando
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'02 G-Wing GL1800
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM
XSive Maximus

Post FZR Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
Got to See & Hear the FZR a few days ago
........progress on getting this bike roadworthy and ready to ride at the Iron Horse.................................
Jeff
Thanks Ben & Jeff,
When Jeff was over the other day the rear tire was still more than a bit suspect at 19 years old and we decided not to take her for a ride (although she had honestly been around the block once or twice).
Made a bunch of progress toward an IH appearance since Jeff's Visit....
  • The Rear Rotor showed up from China ($40 vs. $200)
  • The new Pirelli Diablo II rear FINALLY showed up
  • I was able to get the rear rim cleaned and painted while I waited for the tire.

Overall Progress:
  • I had the bike out today and its idle was high and seemed to be running a little hot too. I acquired a spare water pump to be on the safe side but the cheapo mechanical seal was made different and didn't work correctly (couldn't get the thing closed) so I tossed the kit in the trash and purchased OEM Yamaha parts due this weekend.....
  • Need to replace the slide needles as they were damaged and still unreplaced. This is causing a real RICH studder at low end. Gonna have to dig deep for Titanium needles.
  • I've joined an FZR forum located in England/Europe and am getting several good pointers from those enthusiasts. They saw my video and refer to me as a "Hooligan" my collection of Vintage Yamaha's is referred to as a "Bike Shop" in England. I've extended an offer of a bike to ride (probably the FZR) and transportation from ATL airport to our rally..... Maybe we'll get an English taker???? That would be cool!
  • The FZR was incredibly popular overseas and I've been able to find a few "BITS" over there. Still searching for pieces to the OEM exhaust to eliminate that "BARK" Jeff refers to.... I need to remove the "Hooligan" title associated with loud pipes and spinning tires....
  • There are also a couple differences in the European model of these FZR's and a couple items will be incorporated into this machine....

We all love photos..... here are a couple more....

New rotor is slightly different drill pattern but worked just fine.... Close enough for this restoration. Still looking for SS brake lines to replace this old Junk rubber and make the bike 100% safe

This is the Servo that turns the ExUp valve. My British pals are helping me figure out all the missing stuff. Fortunately, this very hard to find servo was left in the machine by the PO.

I repaired all the broken bolts in the ExUp header and valve I acquired.

The aftermarket NOISY/Hooligan exhaust is 4-2-1 so I can't use the transition pipe to the can from my new header. Worthless......

As they say in Europe finding one of these OEM cans in NICE shape is like trying to find a Virgin on a Unicorn (their term).

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Sincerely,

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
1980 - XS1100SG - The Duck
1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Café
1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery
Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Master of XSology

That is looking real nice kurt..cant wait to see in person...a short ride would be cool...dont think those ergos would work very well for me for an all day ride...LOL
Old 07-14-2019, 06:52 PM
XSive Maximus

Post FZR Update

Vintage Yamaha Friends,
After a large quantity of work today, I was to take a real ripping ride on the FZR. I AM IN LOVE! This machine still stumbles a little coming out of the low RPMS due to the bad needles (not yet replaced), but this thing is a monster. It's HOOLIGAN loud but that will hopefully be resolved soon.....

Today's Work:

Thanks to my British friends providing instructions, I was able to fairly quickly remove & replace the dust seals, oils seals, and the fork oil with minimal aggravation or pain! Thanks England FZR Club!

Against my better judgement, I did hoist the machine on the aftermarket exhaust. Without a center stand, removing the forks leaves few options.

The forks each came apart quite easily and I might even say this was easier than a conventional fork (i.e. XS11)

Adding some high quality fork oil is aided by a baby bottle I use just for this purpose (no my grand babies won't be drinking from this). I find the small size and CC markings make these a great tool for a bike shop.

While I had the wheel off I had to paint the crusty front rim. Took my time on the rear and did it days before the tire arrived. I should have done this earlier before the new tire was installed but I was in a rush to ride.....Tape-off of the new Pirelli was a task. Done far out in the front lawn to avoid over spray on the other toys.

I wish I would have been able to use a high-quality PPG or professional auto paint but i had no white in stock and there wasn't the ability to get to the auto paint store. I have all the tools and paint my own bikes and cars... Today I had to use the "RATTLE CAN" method. Hopefully, it will stand the test of time.

All put back together and test driven..... Darn I love this thing!!!!

If I can keep this pace of work going, this machine will have no problem making it to our VINTAGE YAMAHA RALLY at the end of September

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
1980 - XS1100SG - The Duck
1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Café
1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery
Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 PM
XStremely XSive

Your FZR looks very cool. I'll bet it is fun to ride. Nimble and quick are good.
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
1973 Suzuki TM 125
1979 XS1100 F
2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
1991 BMW K75