Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-24-2018, 09:14 PM
ViperRon's Avatar
ViperRon ViperRon is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Woodstock, VA
Posts: 1,056
New cam chain Tensioners

The new cam chain tensioners are foolproof however not failure proof. There are things that you have to keep in mind. These bikes are old there is gum and varnish that builds up no matter the millage. They also have rubber impregnated cork fiber clutch disks that wear. Also for the bikes that have not been driven for a long time the disks tend to build up rust and corrosion. This means there is a steady amount of contamination that can get into the oil which drips down and settles in the teeth of the newer designed tensioner. If it builds up in the next slot over a long period it can keep the teeth from solidly latching when it ratchets to tighten chain from stretch and wear. You can have a situation under high rpms where it can slip. So every now and then take it off and clean it and now you are fail proof.
__________________
To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
1980 G Silverbird
Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
1198 Overbore kit
Grizzly 660 ACCT
Barnett Clutch Springs
R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
122.5 Main Jets
ACCT Mod
Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
Antivibe Bar ends
Rear trunk add-on
http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-25-2018, 07:00 AM
Schming's Avatar
Schming Schming is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperRon View Post
The new cam chain tensioners are foolproof however not failure proof. There are things that you have to keep in mind. These bikes are old there is gum and varnish that builds up no matter the millage. They also have rubber impregnated cork fiber clutch disks that wear. Also for the bikes that have not been driven for a long time the disks tend to build up rust and corrosion. This means there is a steady amount of contamination that can get into the oil which drips down and settles in the teeth of the newer designed tensioner. If it builds up in the next slot over a long period it can keep the teeth from solidly latching when it ratchets to tighten chain from stretch and wear. You can have a situation under high rpms where it can slip. So every now and then take it off and clean it and now you are fail proof.
With the first hand experience, that many of us share, of digging into these and other internals of vintage engines, I've come across a product about a decade ago that I've used in all my vehicles that safely works on removing the filth inside the engine. A bit costly but it works.

Heres a link, if nothing else an interesting read:

https://www.auto-rx.com/

P.S. YMWV if you decide to use this additive, mine did
__________________
1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 PM
jennings2309 jennings2309 is offline
New
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Alright, sort of.

Good things that have happened: the bike is back together and running pretty good. On the stand, she revs from 1k to 7.5k without stumbling.

On the road, all systems work well: lights, brakes, trans, shifting (no 2nd gear issues), battery charges well. Road manners are good and that thing is comfortable to ride.

No so good: she stumbles revving from 4k up to 5k, and will not really rev past 5k when under way. I looked at the spark plugs and the color looks like the 'good' pics in the manual.

Keep in mind, she has new rings, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, all the valve clearances are in spec. I running stock air filter, air filter box, carbs, carb-boots, and throttle cables.

Could be fuel flow, or something like the timing. I welcome your ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Radioguylogs's Avatar
Radioguylogs Radioguylogs is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 988
Ideas

Sticky carb slide(s)?

Vacuum advance hose is attached in the correct place and has a good seal?

Gas tank vent?

Don't know which model you have, but octy or vacuum petcocks opening correctly?

Kinked fuel line?

Corrosion in main jet(s) or emulsifiers?
__________________
-Mike
_________
'79 XS1100SF 20k miles
'80 XS1100SG 40k miles
'79 XS750SF 15k miles
'79 XS750SF 20k miles
'84 Honda V65 Magna 1K miles + ?
'84 Honda V64 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
'86 Yamaha VMAX 5k miles

Previous
'68 Motoguzzi 600cc
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 AM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings2309 View Post
Alright, sort of.

Good things that have happened: the bike is back together and running pretty good. On the stand, she revs from 1k to 7.5k without stumbling.

On the road, all systems work well: lights, brakes, trans, shifting (no 2nd gear issues), battery charges well. Road manners are good and that thing is comfortable to ride.

No so good: she stumbles revving from 4k up to 5k, and will not really rev past 5k when under way. I looked at the spark plugs and the color looks like the 'good' pics in the manual.

Keep in mind, she has new rings, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, all the valve clearances are in spec. I running stock air filter, air filter box, carbs, carb-boots, and throttle cables.

Could be fuel flow, or something like the timing. I welcome your ideas.
Initially, I highly suggest with engine warmed up, set idle mixtures FIRST then sync carbs. Then with motor off, blip and release throttle several times to seat mixture screw threads. Re-start motor and follow same initial procedure again finishing with a carb re-sync. Use a typical box fan in front of motor for cooling during running procedure!
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
bikerphil's Avatar
bikerphil bikerphil is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Broward County, S. Flori-DUH
Posts: 7,404
Quote:
I running stock air filter
I would remove bottom of airbox, remove the air filter and then take her for a quick test ride. I have run into cheap quality replacement air filters that restrict air flow not allowing the engine to rev high RPM under load.
__________________



79F - owned since '89 - FJ fork mod, solo seat mod, Dyna 3Ω's, Kerker, 14MM M/C (152K miles)
79SF - every day rider, solo seat mod, Brembo 16MM M/C, Accel 3Ω's, Supertrapp (115K miles)

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

25+ year XS11 owner

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 AM
MarkD's Avatar
MarkD MarkD is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: N. Michigan
Posts: 387
I'm gonna be the first ( and one of the more inexperienced) XSer to suggest that the pickup coil wires are faulty. Upon acceleration, the vacuum advance moves, the wires stretch, become non-conductive, and cause breakup at 4500 rpm or so. Mine did this, as well as countless others. There are exhaustive threads on this, but it is an easy fix--replace the wires. There is a test, too. Physically 'test?stretch the wires to see if they 'give ' a little. At any rate, someone will jump in here and either support me, or correct me. Thanks, and good luck!
__________________
79 F
Previously owned: (among others)
1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
1973 Suzuki TM 125
1979 XS1100 F
2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
1991 BMW K75
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM
jennings2309 jennings2309 is offline
New
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks for the responses. This is a 1979 XS1100F. The original petcocks have been replaced with simple on/off petcocks (the octopus was missing when i bought it).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM
MPittma100's Avatar
MPittma100 MPittma100 is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings2309 View Post
Thanks for the responses. This is a 1979 XS1100F. The original petcocks have been replaced with simple on/off petcocks (the octopus was missing when i bought it).
If it is an XS1100F (Standard), there was no octy. Octy was only on the XS1100SF (Special). Verify the integrity of your pickup coils and go from there.
__________________
1981 XS1100H Venturer
K&N Air Filter
ACCT
Custom Paint by Deitz
Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors
Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I'm gonna be the first ( and one of the more inexperienced) XSer to suggest that the pickup coil wires are faulty. Upon acceleration, the vacuum advance moves, the wires stretch, become non-conductive, and cause breakup at 4500 rpm or so. Mine did this, as well as countless others. There are exhaustive threads on this, but it is an easy fix--replace the wires. There is a test, too. Physically 'test?stretch the wires to see if they 'give ' a little. At any rate, someone will jump in here and either support me, or correct me. Thanks, and good luck!
Normally would support that suggestion, but normally if that were the case one or other of those exhaust would let out a heck of a backfire. Just for grins though, pulling on every inch of those wires would be worth the quick check.
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 PM
cajun31's Avatar
cajun31 cajun31 is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 736
my experience

I just recently ran into this very problem after letting my bike sit for a while. I thought I had done enough preventative maintenance and stored the bike properly. Ethanol ... that evil component of most gas you get today was the problem. I completely drained the gas tank... filled it with ethanol free gas. I also put about a half a can of seafoam in with the new gas and then primed the carbs. Let that sit over night then started the bike. It started right up and idled good. Took it out on the road and it stumbled at higher rpms. I could literally not go over about 55 mph. Would have been great if it was 1980 when the bike was built and the speed limit was 55mph. I stumbled back home and stripped the carbs off the bike. Took them apart and removed all the jets minus the pilot circuit and gave all those a turn in my ultrasound cleaner. Used a solution of distilled water and cleaning vinegar. You could see the deposits fly off the jets as the ultrasound did its work. Re assembled everything put the carbs back on the bike and she runs like a bat out of hell again.
__________________
80 LG
02 FXSTB Nighttrain
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM
jennings2309 jennings2309 is offline
New
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the post. I wonder if cleaner carbs might me the solution. It starts great (Two hits on the button at the most!)

I think that will be the next step...David
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cam chain and bent valves

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2019, jvbPlugin