Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Buy, Sell, Trade Forum > XS and XJ 1100 parts for sale.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 AM
XSive

Battery Band, 2H7-82124-00 - Interested?

This is a part that is just not available, at least no NOS store or eBay listing I've seen and I've been looking for many months. I've also pinged bike junk yards in the US. Nada. I have seen posts in both England and Australia with folks asking it anyone had one.

A friend of mine has agreed to fabricate a replacement. It won't be identical to the original, but will service the same function and slide in place of the original. When painted black and behind the side cover, it will be close. Is anyone interested in obtaining one? If so, I will post pix of an original I have from my 78 E as well as the replacement he's making for my 80 LG. They all used the same part number. If there's interest, you'll be able to purchase directly from my friend through his website where he sells custom motorcycle stands.

Just seeing what level of interest there is.

Thanks,

Glen
83 XJ750MK Midnight Special, restoration project
97 FLH, original owner
Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 AM
XS-XJ Guru

I have a few of them....if you are talking about the metal parts that hold the battery in.......itís that rubber pad that I donít have......
79 DT 100
Old 10-02-2018, 07:25 AM
XSive

The rubber pads are available on line from at least one source I checked for the band. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it for you. If this guy's band doesn't work out, are you willing to sell a band? Thx
83 XJ750MK Midnight Special, restoration project
97 FLH, original owner
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Sure, Iím happy to help.
79 DT 100
Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Shipped, you should have it Monday.
79 DT 100
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Well, not only do I have the wrong size battery in this new SG but all the stuff to hold in the right battery is gone, just this funny little battery left to bounce around in the box on/against metal.
SO WHATEVER I CAN BUY BEG BORROW OR STEAL ! I'd prefer to just pay for it. Done };-)

P.S. I have a nice battery box I've been saving for years if anyone needs 1 ?
80 XS 1100 SG
81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Last edited by donebysunday; 10-13-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebysunday View Post
Well, not only do I have the wrong size battery in this new SG but all the stuff to hold in the right battery is gone, just this funny little battery left to bounce around in the box on/against metal.
SO WHATEVER I CAN BUY BEG BORROW OR STEAL ! I'd prefer to just pay for it. Done };-)

P.S. I have a nice battery box I've been saving for years if anyone needs 1 ?
Battery hold down IS important with all circumstances. Movement and bouncing around of a lead-acid battery will flake off pieces off the lead and build up in bottom of battery till it reaches the plates and you then have a shorted cell, missing 2volts. Have seen this happen many times over the decades.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Master of XSology

To add, if water ever is added to bring to correct level, use distilled water ONLY. Tap water or otherwise WILL shorten battery life due to by-products in water! I normally get 7-10yrs. use of a lead-acid wet cell battery in automotive and motorcycle applications when maintained correctly. I also never have had to make use of a tickle-charger. A wet cell batteries life IS determined by this above method, and how many times it has to be re-charged.
A voltage check of each cell, if caps can be removed is normally 2.1V per cell. Using a volt meter with pointed leads is used to check cond. of each cell. Place positive lead of tester on +battery post and negative lead in cell without hitting lead acid plates for cell voltage reading. Any cell voltage reading of 2V or less IS a hint of battery failing soon.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Master of XSology

FWIW, never set an otherwise good lead-acid wet cell on a concrete floor for any length of time, as this will kill the battery. Always set battery on a block of wood if needed to be left on a concrete floor.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
FWIW, never set an otherwise good lead-acid wet cell on a concrete floor for any length of time, as this will kill the battery. Always set battery on a block of wood if needed to be left on a concrete floor.
I use the condensation water from my dehumidifier, good ?
Learned the hard way not to leave a battery on concrete, think I was 13-15 years old.
Now checking the cells like that I did not know, never thought to ask, good to know !
Hope I have your attention, you know I just picked up a really clean non-running XS1100SG, it's running now.
I was running it in the garage tonight and noticed the tach quite, revved it up and noticed the lights did not get any brighter. I remember something about tach not working and charging ?, unfortunately I don't remember how they are connected and what to look at ?
80 XS 1100 SG
Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebysunday View Post
I use the condensation water from my dehumidifier, good ?
Learned the hard way not to leave a battery on concrete, think I was 13-15 years old.
Now checking the cells like that I did not know, never thought to ask, good to know !
Hope I have your attention, you know I just picked up a really clean non-running XS1100SG, it's running now.
I was running it in the garage tonight and noticed the tach quite, revved it up and noticed the lights did not get any brighter. I remember something about tach not working and charging ?, unfortunately I don't remember how they are connected and what to look at ?
Have a plastic gallon jug of distilled water from Wally World or the like for a couple bucks sittin' around would be the better oprion.
Tach and light issue, I'd suggest for starters, unplug and clean the large plug-in terminal behind fuse panal. If no change, may wanna take apart the stop/run switch and soak all pieces in some Evap-o-Rust for few hours, then remove, wash with water, dry, re-assemble and install. This switch completes the running circuit and is somewhat notorious for voltage drop location.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Thanks motoman,
I should have posted that with/on the thread about my new acquisition SG. Then I checked the tech tips and found Rick Z's write up about the tach/charge. He did not mention the KILLER switch so thanks again motoman !
I'll let anyone interested know the outcome on my SG thread.
80 XS 1100 SG