Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Members Lounge

Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru

JJ,

The seat's been recovered by B and H Specialties. I shipped the seat to their shop in Texas, they shipped it back with a new cover on it. I put the seat on the bike and went riding. They used good material and I like their work so I can't really say enough about them:- http://www.motorcycleseatcovers.net

One of the freakin' cats here made a nest on the seat one night in the garage right after I got the seat back and did the purring-cat-thing while digging its claws into the brand new seat cover. The area where I sit is chock full of tiny custom-made ventilation holes that are all the rage on spendy motorcycle seats these days to keep me cool on long rides. After five years the cover's starting to show its age so B and H will be getting my business again.

I haven't had the bags on for but a day so I can't really say how I like them yet. They work. I put some stuff in them and none of the stuff fell out. The bags stayed put on the bike. That's about all I expected when I bought them. They were on sale at Cycle World for ~$40 so I snagged a set for my '79 to use for local rides. The bags are inexpensive faux-leather and the seams are only single-stitched. I might be surprised but I don't really expect them to last more than a year before they start to do the shred-and-shed trick and some stuff starts to fall out and they don't stay put on the bike.

1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk"
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
XSive

Progressive Fork springs

Installed the Progressive fork springs and spent some time riding to feel the difference. No more excessive brake dive and I'm very pleased. I will try adding a little air to see what it feels like since I'm no lightweight. Next, I be installing the Showa shocks that I got off of Ebay for $42.00 bucks and they like new. They came off a 1998 Honda VT1100 that had only 4,000 miles on.

1980 XS1100SG
Raptor 660 ACCT, Kerker turnout exhaust, progressive fork springs, Showa shocks and Tkat forkbrace.

Previous ride.
1982 XJ650 SOLD!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM
XSive

Well I sat at the firehouse once again thinking of what to do to my bike.... Then started craigslisting and found an 82 XJ for very cheap. Now getting all twisted as to put money into the XS to get it on the road finally and miss the opportunity for the XJ, or put the XS on hold again???
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 PM
XStremely XSive

[quote=mspivey1566;418703 found an 82 XJ for very cheap. Now getting all twisted as to put money into the XS to get it on the road finally and miss the opportunity for the XJ, or put the XS on hold again???[/QUOTE]

The XJ is the most de-tuned of them all, but has plenty of power for me. They are also a one-year model, which makes OEM accessories almost impossible to find. I like the styling of the XJ the best, so on mine I have resolved to making my own accessories. I believe you could make a generic fairing or windshield fit, you would just have to have a set of handlebar adapters for the square(?) XJ bars. There have been OEM fairings available on E-Bay, but few and far between.I just finished fabbing my soft bag brackets out of 5/8" square tubing and 1/4" SS bar stock. I also fabbed a windshield, luggage rack, and sissy bar. a Guru might have to correct me, but I believe the ignition timing, being less mechanical, is more reliable than the others.
"Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM
XSive

The thing is, my XS is my first bike and was a complete basket case. It has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle face down with no picture. Lol. But I have fallen for these amazing machines and I just want more. I have seen several people here with the XJ also and I'm wondering if I should pass on this one or, since it is local and cheap, jump at it. Says it needs carb work, brake work, and the tank needs cleaning but it will start and run.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid View Post
The XJ is the most de-tuned of them all, but has plenty of power for me. They are also a one-year model, which makes OEM accessories almost impossible to find. I like the styling of the XJ the best, so on mine I have resolved to making my own accessories. I believe you could make a generic fairing or windshield fit, you would just have to have a set of handlebar adapters for the square(?) XJ bars. There have been OEM fairings available on E-Bay, but few and far between.I just finished fabbing my soft bag brackets out of 5/8" square tubing and 1/4" SS bar stock. I also fabbed a windshield, luggage rack, and sissy bar. a Guru might have to correct me, but I believe the ignition timing, being less mechanical, is more reliable than the others.
You probably already know this, but on xjbikesforever there is a guy named chacal that has a lot of parts for these. Andreas told me about him and I found a computer box for a friend from chacal.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspivey1566 View Post
The thing is, my XS is my first bike and was a complete basket case. It has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle face down with no picture. Lol. But I have fallen for these amazing machines and I just want more. I have seen several people here with the XJ also and I'm wondering if I should pass on this one or, since it is local and cheap, jump at it. Says it needs carb work, brake work, and the tank needs cleaning but it will start and run.

I think one at a time will work out better for you.
Quote:
Says it needs carb work, brake work,
The XJ has linked brakes. Get yourself going before you add another distraction.

I have $2K in parts for a free XS650 I brought home. It can add up quickly.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Phase View Post
JJ,

The seat's been recovered by B and H Specialties. I shipped the seat to their shop in Texas, they shipped it back with a new cover on it. I put the seat on the bike and went riding. They used good material and I like their work so I can't really say enough about them:- http://www.motorcycleseatcovers.net

One of the freakin' cats here made a nest on the seat one night in the garage right after I got the seat back and did the purring-cat-thing while digging its claws into the brand new seat cover. The area where I sit is chock full of tiny custom-made ventilation holes that are all the rage on spendy motorcycle seats these days to keep me cool on long rides. After five years the cover's starting to show its age so B and H will be getting my business again.

I haven't had the bags on for but a day so I can't really say how I like them yet. They work. I put some stuff in them and none of the stuff fell out. The bags stayed put on the bike. That's about all I expected when I bought them. They were on sale at Cycle World for ~$40 so I snagged a set for my '79 to use for local rides. The bags are inexpensive faux-leather and the seams are only single-stitched. I might be surprised but I don't really expect them to last more than a year before they start to do the shred-and-shed trick and some stuff starts to fall out and they don't stay put on the bike.

What did they charge you to replace the seat cover?

MP
Custom Paint by Deitz
Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors
Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Stable Additions

Have recently acquired 2, not 1, but 2 1980Gs. Both are fully dressed. Both have working radios. All tires are good. Non stock items are the Harley slip on mufflers that were put on just because the PO wanted them. Wish I could have gotten the stock ones, but they were gone. One needs a battery. Relatively low mileage on both. 20+k and 30+K.

They have some very basic normal problems - as far a I can tell so far. Overall they are both in very good shape mechanically and visually. They just need to be brought up to ready-to-ride status. They sat around for a while - thankfully indoors. But not too long. Tanks are perfect.

I am doing the normal things, cleaning carbs, running compression tests, checking the brakes, changing all fluid levels, etc.

I did not need nor was I even looking for these bikes. The story is that they belonged to the cousin of the guy that I bought them from. The cousin had passed away and I believe that he basically inherited them from his cousin. He had and rode a Gold Wing. Don't think he cared so much for the 1100s. But he was moving and selling everything and anything someone would buy. So that is my story on the Gs and 'm sticking to it.

Will post progress as it happens.

MP
Custom Paint by Deitz
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
XStremely XSive

MP, are any pictures of these 2 sweet rides coming??
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
1973 Suzuki TM 125
1979 XS1100 F
2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
1991 BMW K75
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Hi Mike,
Pictures please and update your signature too.
It would appear you need a 78E to complete the set
Phil
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPittma100 View Post
What did they charge you to replace the seat cover?
Mike(?),

This has jogged my memory a little (it was October and November of 2008) and I remember that B&H had no pattern at that time for an '80G. My seat was their crash test dummy and that's why I had to ship it to Texas.

From an old e-mail I dug up they charged $45 to put on the cover, a hundred-and-mumble for the cover itself plus shipping and the whole deal took about a month for a bolt-on-and-ride seat. Even though the cat did its thing to the vinyl when it was brand new, the pattern stitching on the seat is still in great shape and shows no sign at all of pulling, fraying or unraveling.

1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk"
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Seat

Hi Scott,

That sounds very reasonable to me. I may have a need in the next little while for a cover for a 1980G. Will keep these guys in mind.

Mike
Custom Paint by Deitz
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors

Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
MP, are any pictures of these 2 sweet rides coming??
Yes Mark,

Will get some pix up as soon as I can.

Mike
Custom Paint by Deitz
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors

Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Update Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximPhil View Post
Hi Mike,
Pictures please and update your signature too.
It would appear you need a 78E to complete the set
Phil
Hi Phil,

Yes, I will update the signature. And you are accurate about the 78E. At some point, I would like a sweet MNS also.

Mike
Custom Paint by Deitz
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors

Mike