Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacknasty View Post
Very few things in life give such immediate and visceral feedback as an angle grinder and a welder! Every time I pick either one up my eyes start looking around the garage for a suitable victim. So far I have avoided direct contact with the XS11. I kinda like the old girl just the way she is.

Looks like yer havin' a good time resuscitating an old, unloved machine. It's not like yer choppin' up a concours Brough Superior, fer Gawd's sake. Let the sparks fly and have some fun.

After riding a few different seat spring set-ups, I find the hairpin springs give a superior ride. Less rebound than the beehive and softer than the shock-absorber type. JMO YMMV.

Life is short, ride hard...
thanks for the spring set-up advice i have been debating between the three for a while but havent ridden all three types. the one thing that i have heard about the hairpin springs is that you want to go bigger than 2 inches because they bottom out. thanks again for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
more parts

i also have the rear fender, tail light, turnsignals, mufflers, carb boots, cruize control (throttle lock), speedometer and tac, front brake lever and master cylinder, clutch lever, and a few other odds and ends. just make an offer. all parts
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Mr.Bill's Avatar
Mr.Bill Mr.Bill is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Clarksburg Maryland
Posts: 118
would love to see how you are wiring up everything in your false oil tank, and the ignition and all

Cool build, I like the idea of lowerig the seat as you did, Sprung seat for hardtailing comfort
__________________
1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Joab's Avatar
Joab Joab is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ozark, Alabama
Posts: 472
Great looking bike man! Always like to see something with a bit of character and personality! Your doing a great job dealing with the bits o' negative commentary as well. Your bike, your choices. Hell, I am going to be chopping up my '72 XS650 mostly because the PO told me to never chop it! Dratted stubborn streak...
__________________
Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
______________________________________________
1979 XS1100SF
1972 XS2 650
______________________________________________
Ozark, Alabama
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
would love to see how you are wiring up everything in your false oil tank, and the ignition and all

Cool build, I like the idea of lowerig the seat as you did, Sprung seat for hardtailing comfort
i will take some pictures once i get to wireing everything up. thanks for the comments, i am trying to get it ready for the riding season.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joab View Post
Great looking bike man! Always like to see something with a bit of character and personality! Your doing a great job dealing with the bits o' negative commentary as well. Your bike, your choices. Hell, I am going to be chopping up my '72 XS650 mostly because the PO told me to never chop it! Dratted stubborn streak...
thanks, i am trying to make it my own, the way i want. I dont mind negative commentary, not everyone likes the same thing, thats what makes us all different, it would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same thing. I know when my bike is done it will be a head turner, with a mean look, and the power to back it up. good luck with your build there is alot of parts for those bikes to make into a bobber or chopper. have fun with it, thats what i am doing.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
XS1100_OEM4ME's Avatar
XS1100_OEM4ME XS1100_OEM4ME is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 1,619
Good luck with your bike!

I am glad you are having fun with your bike, Like I posted on a different thread, I dont think even ONE XS /XJ in the picture at the top of our fourm is all OEM Love to see yours when you are done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
thanks, i am trying to make it my own, the way i want. I dont mind negative commentary, not everyone likes the same thing, thats what makes us all different, it would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same thing. I know when my bike is done it will be a head turner, with a mean look, and the power to back it up. good luck with your build there is alot of parts for those bikes to make into a bobber or chopper. have fun with it, thats what i am doing.
__________________
1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
1980 XS1100 Special
1990 V Max
1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
1974 CB750-Four



Past/pres Car's
1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
I am glad you are having fun with your bike, Like I posted on a different thread, I dont think even ONE XS /XJ in the picture at the top of our fourm is all OEM Love to see yours when you are done
things are going slow with the bike but steady, i dont have alot of time to work on it but this weekend i should be able to get some more done. Like i said i am doing this on a budget so i am making alot of things myself, and that takes time. like my fake oil tank is made from two kitchen canisters that i put together, and added a small piece of pvc to make a filler neck.

my liscense plate holder i made myself out of some sheet metal that my brother gave me ( it took almost all day to make). I used an oval LED tail light that i got off of ebay for $25 and the rest i made. here are some pics.


Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM
fredintoon's Avatar
fredintoon fredintoon is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Saskatoon SK
Posts: 6,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
- - - my liscense plate holder i made myself out of some sheet metal that my brother gave me ( it took almost all day to make). I used an oval LED tail light that i got off of ebay for $25 and the rest i made. - - -
Hi nightengale,
nice work but it's blue? Even the light is blue? Or at least that's the colour it is on my screen.

Hardtail story for you:-
guy turned up at one of our CVMG meetings showing off photos of the XS650 he'd just rebuilt.
It was a hardtail with a Harley back wheel & frypan seat.
So we had this conversation:-
"Why did you do that you brainless effin' Vandal?"
" I bought it cheap, it had been run over by a truck and it's back end was squashed.
I had no money to buy a replacement frame, swingarm, wheel, fender etc.
What I did have was a stack of steel tube, a Harley rear wheel and a TIG welder."
"Congratulations, that is a really nice bike you have there."
__________________
Fred Hill, S'toon
XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
"The Flying Pumpkin"
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 AM
natemoen's Avatar
natemoen natemoen is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 8,624
Where are your parts on ebay? Can't find any of them!
__________________
Nathan
KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 AM
dpotter58's Avatar
dpotter58 dpotter58 is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,718
I picked up the fairing Sunday and it was in nice shape. The tank looks solid, it does have a dent but overall it looks nice. I think the dent is in a place that wouldn't show if your bike has a fairing.
He has parts so if you are interested I'd suggest a PM since he was offfering them to us on this site prior to fleabay.
__________________
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell



1980 LG
1981 LH
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
natemoen's Avatar
natemoen natemoen is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 8,624
I was pming him and he said he put the tank up on ebay for sale.
__________________
Nathan
KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredintoon View Post
Hi nightengale,
nice work but it's blue? Even the light is blue? Or at least that's the colour it is on my screen.

Hardtail story for you:-
guy turned up at one of our CVMG meetings showing off photos of the XS650 he'd just rebuilt.
It was a hardtail with a Harley back wheel & frypan seat.
So we had this conversation:-
"Why did you do that you brainless effin' Vandal?"
" I bought it cheap, it had been run over by a truck and it's back end was squashed.
I had no money to buy a replacement frame, swingarm, wheel, fender etc.
What I did have was a stack of steel tube, a Harley rear wheel and a TIG welder."
"Congratulations, that is a really nice bike you have there."
its a satin black they both need a couple more coats.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
not on ebay yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemoen View Post
I was pming him and he said he put the tank up on ebay for sale.
i havent posted them yet, havent had time been working alot lately. pm me and lets see if we can make a deal.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
time for more welding

this weekend i plan on getting my solo seat mount welded up along with a starter button and relocate the ignition switch, will post new pics after saturday.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bobber, hardtail, parts for sale, project

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2022, jvbPlugin