Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Transmission issues...

I've been reading up on the 1st gear issue (which I have) and the procedures that fix the problem. I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the "dremmel fix" and the changing the position of the gear washer fix two separate (and effective) fixes, or is the washer repositioning just an added security added on to the dremmel fix? What I'm asking is can the washer thing be performed alone to get the right result without grinding anything?
2. I've seen whole gear sets new for sale for about $70... Would just replacing with a new set fix this issue, replacing the worn out dogs & slots with new unworn ones? (Instead of grinding old ones that you could possibly get wrong). If that WILL work, I'm sure someone will argue that the new ones will just do the same thing eventually, but they should at least last some years like the original ones, right??

Please advise.
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM
CatatonicBug's Avatar
CatatonicBug CatatonicBug is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Clinton, UT
Posts: 6,117
If you have the money to get a new gear set, that is the best option. If not, do the Dremel fix, and the washer swap is just added security to that. Doing just the washer swap won't do much, since the dogs are already rounded over. Many have gotten by with the Dremel fix and not done the washer swap, and had no additional issues.
__________________
1980 XS850SG - Sold
1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2016, 12:18 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicBug View Post
If you have the money to get a new gear set, that is the best option. If not, do the Dremel fix, and the washer swap is just added security to that. Doing just the washer swap won't do much, since the dogs are already rounded over. Many have gotten by with the Dremel fix and not done the washer swap, and had no additional issues.
Ok thanks. I think I'll go with new gears then... I'm tempted to try it, just to say I did it, but think I might just go the safer route.
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
If you are going to put in new gears, then you DO want to do the WASHER swap, it provides better deeper engagement of the 2nd/5th dogs/slots which helps to further reduce the chance for rounding/wearing the egdes as much or as fast since more surface area will be contacting and under stress which can hold up better vs. the OEM level of engagement. But the new gears if they are just NOS will also be square cut edges.

IF you find the NEWER gears Yamaha did learn and undercut them to provide better maintenance of engagement and therefore reduced wear. YMMV.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
If you are going to put in new gears, then you DO want to do the WASHER swap, it provides better deeper engagement of the 2nd/5th dogs/slots which helps to further reduce the chance for rounding/wearing the egdes as much or as fast since more surface area will be contacting and under stress which can hold up better vs. the OEM level of engagement. But the new gears if they are just NOS will also be square cut edges.

IF you find the NEWER gears Yamaha did learn and undercut them to provide better maintenance of engagement and therefore reduced wear. YMMV.

T.C.
+1........although I've dremmeled several w/the washer swap and have had no failures so far.

If you do 1st do 2nd too, or vise versa, or you will probably be doing it all again in a short time. Learned that the hard way.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM
madmax-im's Avatar
madmax-im madmax-im is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Comfort...Wendell NC
Posts: 6,673
didnt someone just tell me recently that the factory backcut gears from yamaha are no longer being made???...
Not to mention if you do find new factory backcut gearsets...its gonna cost you some bucks...well from Yamaha anyways
__________________
1980 XS650G Special-Two
1993 Honda ST1100
Don't speak unless you can improve upon the silence....

Last edited by madmax-im; 03-02-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Thanx guys, I'll make sure I do both gears which I was already thinking of doing from reading about 1st gear problems AND 2nd with the same issue, so I'd never go thru all of that without doing both. As far as the new gears, they cost a little more than I original saw some for (or it may have been a mirage) plus they look really hard to come by new, so I'm pretty sure I'm rolling with the Dremmel...

Question: I saw someone mention here about using some sort of cut off wheel to do the dogs (which I plan on doing with my die grinder). Can someone recommend me the proper bit to use to do the inside of the gear?
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 PM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax-im View Post
didnt someone just tell me recently that the factory backcut gears from yamaha are no longer being made???...
Not to mention if you do find new factory backcut gearsets...its gonna cost you some bucks...well from Yamaha anyways
Correct Ben......IIRC, new gears are no longer available.....least haven't been for a bit more than the past year.
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Tenorman's Avatar
Tenorman Tenorman is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Butler, Penn.
Posts: 70
My thoughts on "new" gears...

When I did my bike two years, I searched for new gears from Partzilla.

The 1st Gear was still available, but they showed that the 4th Gear was, but later emailed me that it wasn't. I bought the 1st gear (about $100.00 with shipping).

I found another 2 NOS gears on eBay...4th and 2nd...bought them...about $100.00 each. I then bought a good used transmission on eBay...another $100.00.

You'll look long and hard to find the 5th gear although they do come up on eBay once in a while...maybe $100.00 if you're lucky.

I ended up using the 5th gear from the used transmission along with the 2nd gear washer. (I had the new second gear cut so I could use 2 washers...one on either side.)

If I had to do it all over again, I would have contacted these people

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...nsmissions.htm

The FJ owners site has a ton of information on these transmissions, because they also had problems with the 2nd gear on the early FJ1100 and FJ1200.

By the way...I never found a NOS gear that was undercut...I don't think that they ever existed. All that I found was NOS...NEW OLD STOCK...

Hope this helps....

Tenorman
__________________
Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
1964 Allstate 250
1970 Yamaha DT1
1959 Mobylette
1970 Yamaha JT1
1995 Suzuki 80
1978 Yamaha XS650
1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
2005 BMW R1150R
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 AM
andreashweiss andreashweiss is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 180 mile northwest of Spokane,WA
Posts: 921
transmission

good morning, if needed I can supply the entire transmission and everything else from that general area. Shifter assembly, shift drum, shift forks, shafts, gears, clips, bearings, starter clutch, etc, approx. 29 pounds of parts. Have two on the shelf, show little or no wear, good to go stuff. $150 includes shipping in continental usa by us priority mail. thanx andreas
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2016, 01:15 PM
IanDMacDonald's Avatar
IanDMacDonald IanDMacDonald is offline
XS-XJ Super Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Blanc & Fenton, MI
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenorman View Post
When I did my bike two years, I searched for new gears from Partzilla.

The 1st Gear was still available, but they showed that the 4th Gear was, but later emailed me that it wasn't. I bought the 1st gear (about $100.00 with shipping).

I found another 2 NOS gears on eBay...4th and 2nd...bought them...about $100.00 each. I then bought a good used transmission on eBay...another $100.00.

You'll look long and hard to find the 5th gear although they do come up on eBay once in a while...maybe $100.00 if you're lucky.

I ended up using the 5th gear from the used transmission along with the 2nd gear washer. (I had the new second gear cut so I could use 2 washers...one on either side.)

If I had to do it all over again, I would have contacted these people

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...nsmissions.htm

The FJ owners site has a ton of information on these transmissions, because they also had problems with the 2nd gear on the early FJ1100 and FJ1200.

By the way...I never found a NOS gear that was undercut...I don't think that they ever existed. All that I found was NOS...NEW OLD STOCK...

Hope this helps....

Tenorman
Bookmarked! Thanks for the link!
__________________
1979 XS1100F
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRealHEMC View Post
Thanx guys, I'll make sure I do both gears which I was already thinking of doing from reading about 1st gear problems AND 2nd with the same issue, so I'd never go thru all of that without doing both. As far as the new gears, they cost a little more than I original saw some for (or it may have been a mirage) plus they look really hard to come by new, so I'm pretty sure I'm rolling with the Dremmel...

Question: I saw someone mention here about using some sort of cut off wheel to do the dogs (which I plan on doing with my die grinder). Can someone recommend me the proper bit to use to do the inside of the gear?
Hey again,

I'm pretty sure I listed the correct DREMMEL bits to use in the tech tip. However, if you're using an actual Die Grinder, I've seen a set of diamond crusted variety bits available. I like the dremmel for the slots on 2nd because it's essentially the same size as the slot...just a little larger by a few thousandths, so it's mostly just maintaining the same angle that is required.

The straight slots of 1st/4th are tougher by hand. I used some smaller chain saw sharpening bits, and just worked them back and forth. Surprisingly due to breaking thru the hardened gear surface, the contact surfaces don't have to be perfectly flat, as the gears bang together, they will beat themselves into matching contact patches.

Others have posted about using a machine shop to perform the grinding. Many ways to skin this cat.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Thanx again T.C. I'm gonna pull it all apart & see in person what I'm up against & hopefully I'm not back here looking for a whole new set of gears... Lol
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,861
I've never bought "new gears". I've dremmeled all of them that needed repair.

Haven't had a second failure yet, and all it cost was some time and beer.

The washer swap is VERY important part of the repair. Should have been done at the factory.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Question...

I'm planning on buying this from Harbor Freight tomorrow to do the dremmel fix this weekend...

http://m.harborfreight.com/heavy-dut...-pc-68696.html

Will this suffice? Does it come with the bits needed? (It lists them in the ad)

Anyone who can take the time to check this out & answer will be greatly appreciated.
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1st gear, dogs, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2022, jvbPlugin