Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
XSive

Pickup Coil & Governor

I am restoring a 1978 XS1100E with a 1980 SG 3J6 motor in it. Good compression, good spark, and it runs so so. No vacuum leaks (diaphragm, carb boots, or carbs) that I can detect. Electrical in good shape. Seems to stall a bit above idle and has no power in the mid range RPM, I have not run it on the high end of the RPM range yet. I pulled the cover off the Pickup and observed the vacuum diaphragm and coil while running. It seems to jerk around a bit at higher RPM and will occasionally stick and not move at all for a turn of the crank. This part has been worked on before by the PO, the wires seem original on the coil end but are too long and I assume spliced.

I also have a 1979 XS1100 SF that I am going through and I have observed its Pickup while running and it operates smoothly with none of the E issues.

Is the observed uneven operating characteristic symptomatic of a need for a coil replacement?

I think the 1978-1980 can all use the same Pickup, so if I can find a 1978 version I may need to replace it.

Anyone with thoughts on this? Thank-you for your input.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Welcome

First let me say welcome to the site.
I had similar issues with one of mine. All I did was replace the vacuum hose and give it a liberal spray of Deep Creep or WD-40 (I cant seem to remember which right now). That was all it took and it moved so much smoother it was incredible. I am sure someone will be coming along here soon that is far more knowledgable than I to help you with more info. I will suggest you post this question in the XS/XJ discussion area as it will get more attention there.
Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
XS-XJ Guru

As written above, the hoses can develop leaks, so check 'em. Also make sure the hose is connected to the brass nipple on carb #2, NOT the intake manifold boot. I have also seen that symptom when the carbs are WAY out of synch.

Hope this helps.

And, yes, you can use the 78-80 pickups they're all the same.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 AM
New

I had one of the early ones in Australia from new what I found may help it may not but check it anyway.I beleive I was the first to find and solve the problem in Australia 30 years ago ( no internet in those days )

The ignition timming plate rotates as revs change and vacumm changes . The nwires that run from the pickups breaksdown under the insulation . If you carfully squeeze the wire between your thumb nail and finger run the finger slowly along if you feel it become thinner that is a break in the wire ,generally you have enough wire in the loom to pull some down and resolder it in place .If you can, leave a bit more slack in the the area.

One word of warning this is from my memory 30 years ago .