Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
XSive Maximus

Bike started sputtering at 5000 rpms

I had been working on my daughters 80LG and after changing the carbs (it had a set of 79 carbs and I rebuilt the 80 carbs and installed them) the bike started to sputter at 5000 rpm in every gear. At first I thought it was the carbs so I put the 79 set back in same thing. I then checked the timing and valve clearance, found that the timing marks were off by one link. Got that fixed but the sputtering still was happening. I then checked the pickup coils and they were good. On a whim I checked the petcocks (I had rebuilt them last year) the right side had a white powder clogging it. After taking it apart and cleaning it the bike ran better than ever. (Because of the other things found)

Sometimes it's good to have something go wrong so that it forces you (me) to fix what ails the bike.

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Doctor of XSology(Deceased)

It is surprising sometimes how getting one system working better, will reveal the short comings of another system.

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
93 GSX600F
80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
81 XS1100 Special
81 CB750 C
80 CB750 C
78 XS750
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Master of XSology

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoop View Post
I had been working on my daughters 80LG and after changing the carbs (it had a set of 79 carbs and I rebuilt the 80 carbs and installed them) the bike started to sputter at 5000 rpm in every gear. At first I thought it was the carbs so I put the 79 set back in same thing. I then checked the timing and valve clearance, found that the timing marks were off by one link. Got that fixed but the sputtering still was happening. I then checked the pickup coils and they were good. On a whim I checked the petcocks (I had rebuilt them last year) the right side had a white powder clogging it. After taking it apart and cleaning it the bike ran better than ever. (Because of the other things found)

Sometimes it's good to have something go wrong so that it forces you (me) to fix what ails the bike.
Last statement bout covers it........seems these scoots "find you out" whenever just a 'band-aid' is applied......