Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
Well,
Got it back together today and cannot get #1 cylinder to fire. Had the carb off a couple times to make sure all was clean and still no go. I thought I may of had a blockage between the 1 and 2 carb breather but no. Pulled carb down to the needle jet. Switched # 4 and # 1 plug wire and still no fire on 1. Yes 4 fired. Rechecked float level by using a clear hose off bottom of bowl like I set them before, was good. Sometimes the plugs are wet. I think I'm getting tired and frustrated. And tired of smelling like gas. I have not performed a compression test, just the ole finger in the hole. I am going to buy a compression tester. Boy it runs good on three cylinders. I was going to post plug pics but photobucket sucks!
Tim
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-26-2016, 02:33 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
I got the compression tester and got the following on a cold engine (room temp or above), #1-110, #2-105, #3-105, #4-100. Cut back 1/2" on the #1 plug wire, sprayed wd-40 on intake area of # 1 while running. Has to be # carb no? Must be missing something.
Tim
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Radioguylogs's Avatar
Radioguylogs Radioguylogs is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 1,217
Low

Compression is rather low across the board. Did you hold the throttle open? Let it go 10-15 revolutions 'till it peaks?

(Not that this is related to your problem)
__________________
-Mike
_________
'79 XS1100SF 20k miles
'80 XS1100SG 42k miles
'81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
'79 XS750SF 15k miles
'84 Honda V65 Magna ? miles
'84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
'86 Yamaha VMAX 5k miles

Previous
'68 Motoguzzi 600cc
'79 XS750SF 22k miles
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
Yes, I opened the throttle. And held it until it peaked. Reading some past posts on here leads me to a hanging float? Although when I checked the level while on the bike using a clear hose it took a while for it to fill the hose.
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 PM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by timktm View Post
Well,
Got it back together today and cannot get #1 cylinder to fire. Had the carb off a couple times to make sure all was clean and still no go. I thought I may of had a blockage between the 1 and 2 carb breather but no. Pulled carb down to the needle jet. Switched # 4 and # 1 plug wire and still no fire on 1. Yes 4 fired. Rechecked float level by using a clear hose off bottom of bowl like I set them before, was good. Sometimes the plugs are wet. I think I'm getting tired and frustrated. And tired of smelling like gas. I have not performed a compression test, just the ole finger in the hole. I am going to buy a compression tester. Boy it runs good on three cylinders. I was going to post plug pics but photobucket sucks!
Tim
Have you tried unscrewing #1 plug cap and cutting and re-stripping plug wire back a quarter inch(if using the original pug wires)?
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Have you tried unscrewing #1 plug cap and cutting and re-stripping plug wire back a quarter inch(if using the original pug wires)?
Yes. I stripped it back to good wire.
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
Well she is running on all 4! So, when I did the initial carb cleaning way back, I had to drill out the #1 pilot jet. I chased the threads but I didn't have a bottom tap. When I had it apart this last time tonight, I checked them to see comparatively how deep they sat to # 2 carb. It sat a bit higher than the # 2, by about a fat 1/32" to almost an 1/8". So I got my tap and ground it flat to allow me to get further down. I was able to get the pilot jet to sit like # 2. Put the carbs back on and I have all 4 firing. Go figure. I would have taken a test run but no tail light.
Tim
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 PM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by timktm View Post
Well she is running on all 4! So, when I did the initial carb cleaning way back, I had to drill out the #1 pilot jet. I chased the threads but I didn't have a bottom tap. When I had it apart this last time tonight, I checked them to see comparatively how deep they sat to # 2 carb. It sat a bit higher than the # 2, by about a fat 1/32" to almost an 1/8". So I got my tap and ground it flat to allow me to get further down. I was able to get the pilot jet to sit like # 2. Put the carbs back on and I have all 4 firing. Go figure. I would have taken a test run but no tail light.
Tim
Peior to fixing tail-lite, warm it up, set idle mixture on all four carbs and sync.......repeat all prior or your test ride IS a waste of time.
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Peior to fixing tail-lite, warm it up, set idle mixture on all four carbs and sync.......repeat all prior or your test ride IS a waste of time.
I will set the idle mixture. Don't have the funds for a sync unit. In time. Do you have a suggested procedure for idle mixture adjustment? And I will bypass the lcu to get the tail light going.
Tim
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Schming's Avatar
Schming Schming is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by timktm View Post
I will set the idle mixture. Don't have the funds for a sync unit. In time. Do you have a suggested procedure for idle mixture adjustment? And I will bypass the lcu to get the tail light going.
Tim
Hi Tim,

This might help ya;

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124
__________________
1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-26-2016, 09:47 PM
motoman motoman is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by timktm View Post
I will set the idle mixture. Don't have the funds for a sync unit. In time. Do you have a suggested procedure for idle mixture adjustment? And I will bypass the lcu to get the tail light going.
Tim
Lean-drop method. In another words, back screw out a ways.......slowly back in till you hear the slightest rpm drop from exhaust.......then back out 1/8th to 1/4 turn at most. Go to next idle mix screw and so on, Then least see if you can beg/borrow 4 vacuum gauges for a close sync setting, starting with either screw with #3/#4 or screw for #1/#2. Then center screw for matching up the pairs.
__________________
81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Last edited by motoman; 01-26-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
timktm timktm is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 169
So it seems most on here like the carbtune sync tool. Can I get this in the states? I should ask how long it takes. What about the ABN carb vacuum sync tool? Thoughts on this are appreciated. Went to change the oil and filter and found the washer was missing by the spring and filter. The rubber bushing it would have sat against was inside the filter itself when I took it apart. Oh well ordered that washer.
__________________
1979 xs1100sf black.
1973 Harley fx.
2005 Honda 450x.

Last edited by timktm; 01-27-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Asked how long it takes.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:20 PM
bikerphil's Avatar
bikerphil bikerphil is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Broward County, S. Flori-DUH
Posts: 7,551
I personally use the vacuum gauges with highest vacuum reading method for idle mixture setting. The Morgan Carbtune is not sensitive enough for that method, pretty sure.
__________________



79F - owned since '89 - FJ fork mod, solo seat mod, Dyna 3Ω's, 14MM M/C (168K miles)
79SF - every day rider, solo seat mod, Brembo 16MM M/C, Accel 3Ω's, Supertrapp (125K miles)

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

30 year XS11 owner


Last edited by bikerphil; 01-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM
crazy steve crazy steve is offline
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beautiful outer Yelm, WA
Posts: 7,932
Cheap sync tool.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986

This is what I use, it works just fine. A bit slower to use, but no worries about if the multiple gauges are all calibrated the same.
__________________
Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:53 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by timktm View Post
So it seems most on here like the carbtune sync tool. Can I get this in the states? I should ask how long it takes. What about the ABN carb vacuum sync tool? Thoughts on this are appreciated. Went to change the oil and filter and found the washer was missing by the spring and filter. The rubber bushing it would have sat against was inside the filter itself when I took it apart. Oh well ordered that washer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vacuum-C...091328&vxp=mtr
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2020, jvbPlugin