Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Members Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 AM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
My first XS (Help The New Guy)

Hey everybody, I recently decided to take a break from crotch rockets & buy my first cruiser... Now, I really like the bobber look of the 80's Jap cruisers, so I just recently bought a 1980 XS Eleven Special. Now it doesn't HAVE to be an actual "bobber" with the hardtail & what not (I want to keep my shocks), but I DO want to shorten/closen the rear fender (NOT take it completely off). I guess what I'm really looking for is just a custom XS. Is there a way to do this without using a totally different fender? I pretty much have everything else planned that I want to do with this bike like bars, paint, seat, etc. I just have no idea where to start with this rear fender... Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2016, 05:30 AM
IanDMacDonald's Avatar
IanDMacDonald IanDMacDonald is offline
XS-XJ Super Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Blanc & Fenton, MI
Posts: 3,807
Do you mind posting pics of the bike so we can see the condition prior to it's modifications? A little tip for you: if the bike rides how it is, leave it alone. Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike, with the same price as a running bike. Enjoy the bike for what it is. Easy maintenance, plenty of power, etc. Don't believe me? Enjoy searching the threads. Any bike you see modified that still runs, the owner did not need our advice, as he was capable enough to perform the mods himself. Good luck.
__________________
1979 XS1100F
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 AM
TADracer TADracer is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kenner, Louisiana USA
Posts: 1,415
You can do a few things that will completely change the look of your machine without cutting it up. For instance, take the buckhorn bars off and replace with something lower and more ride able. Change out the handlebar controls for some chrome ones from Mikes XS and put on some billet grips. Add a small shield, etch and paint the chrome fenders to match your tank and side plates. These are a few of the cosmetic things I did to mine and you can see it looks like it is doing 100 just sitting in front of my house. There are a lot of things you can do to change the look and most are fairly inexpensive....besides, these bikes are already fairly short in length.

Best of luck to you.

__________________
Mike Giroir
79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
Do you mind posting pics of the bike so we can see the condition prior to it's modifications? A little tip for you: if the bike rides how it is, leave it alone. Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike, with the same price as a running bike. Enjoy the bike for what it is. Easy maintenance, plenty of power, etc. Don't believe me? Enjoy searching the threads. Any bike you see modified that still runs, the owner did not need our advice, as he was capable enough to perform the mods himself. Good luck.
I'll take some pix and post them later. As far as the mods, yes they are decent looking bikes as is, BUT I bought this bike for the specific purpose in customizing it myself to something I can take credit for doing & looking awesome. So leaving it stock isn't an option. (Especially since it has this big ugly Purple Rain fairing on the front) Not knocking anyone who likes it that way, just not MY thing.
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 AM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADracer View Post
You can do a few things that will completely change the look of your machine without cutting it up. For instance, take the buckhorn bars off and replace with something lower and more ride able. Change out the handlebar controls for some chrome ones from Mikes XS and put on some billet grips. Add a small shield, etch and paint the chrome fenders to match your tank and side plates. These are a few of the cosmetic things I did to mine and you can see it looks like it is doing 100 just sitting in front of my house. There are a lot of things you can do to change the look and most are fairly inexpensive....besides, these bikes are already fairly short in length.

Best of luck to you.

I like how you put the new gold Yamaha symbols on the tank, I thought about doing the same thing after I paint, and I was also painting the fenders to match like you did. It also looks like those controls look pretty dope on there, I'ma have to check out Mikes, I've done a little scrolling already. I'm probably going with a set of drag bars with a slight pull back tho (maybe).
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2016, 12:49 PM
IanDMacDonald's Avatar
IanDMacDonald IanDMacDonald is offline
XS-XJ Super Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Blanc & Fenton, MI
Posts: 3,807
You can do plenty to the bike to make it fun and unique without chopping it up . . .









However, drag bars will not be fun on this bike. The ergonomics are wrong, unless you plan-on customizing the pegs. A more ergonomic setup is the Euro 2H9 setup.
__________________
1979 XS1100F
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2016, 03:58 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
You can do plenty to the bike to make it fun and unique without chopping it up . . .



However, drag bars will not be fun on this bike. The ergonomics are wrong, unless you plan-on customizing the pegs. A more ergonomic setup is the Euro 2H9 setup.
How did you get the rear fender so low & close? From what I see, they're usually up high & far back... (The reason I wanna chop it up)
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2016, 04:28 PM
IanDMacDonald's Avatar
IanDMacDonald IanDMacDonald is offline
XS-XJ Super Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Blanc & Fenton, MI
Posts: 3,807
My bike is a "standard", and I believe the fenders are designed lower. However, the aftermarket shocks are an inch shorter in height.
__________________
1979 XS1100F
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2016, 04:32 PM
kboehringer's Avatar
kboehringer kboehringer is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia.
Posts: 1,014
Smile GO SLOW... Small Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike....SNIP
JRealHEMC,
WELCOME! I hope you are able to create the bike your are looking to own and enjoy the bike once it is done. However, I have also seen too many of these bikes destroyed by an over zealous guy without any sort of a game plan.

I would like to suggest the following:
  • MAKE A PLAN for all the key features YOU want YOUR bike to have. Sketch it out!, check parts prices!, and LEARN about the bike you have.
  • You'll be building from a very strong power plant that probably needs attention NOW. Many of these bikes have not had a proper valve adjustment in years and the cables are junk the brakes are shot, etc. Get those things right first. You can be driving it while you modifying it here & there!!
  • Perform your mods in smaller steps. The bikes I have seen turned to junk, and I think that IAN is referring to the guys started rippin', tearin' , and cuttin' and ended up with a total pile of crap. They cut the frame too far, tossed parts they still needed, or couldn't afford to replace, etc.
  • Work TOWARD your dream bike... SLOWLY and METHODICALLY.

This is my custom "DEAD DUCK". It's not really too far from stock but it has an entirely different feel and look. In my case the bike WAS one of those "Café Gone Wrong" attempts. I've replaced a bunch of OEM parts back onto the bike and modified the seat, rear fender, etc. as many of these parts were missing anyway. It's not quite finished but it should be up & running in a couple weeks.... I have a couple more items I would like to do including: HD Mufflers, move the pegs rearward, and maybe add some LED "bling".



Hope that helps.... Again, WELCOME! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Kurt
__________________
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
1980 - XS1100SG - The Duck
1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Café
1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
1986 - FJ1200 - - Georgia Maverick
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 PM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboehringer View Post
JRealHEMC,
WELCOME! I hope you are able to create the bike your are looking to own and enjoy the bike once it is done. However, I have also seen too many of these bikes destroyed by an over zealous guy without any sort of a game plan.

I would like to suggest the following:
  • MAKE A PLAN for all the key features YOU want YOUR bike to have. Sketch it out!, check parts prices!, and LEARN about the bike you have.
  • You'll be building from a very strong power plant that probably needs attention NOW. Many of these bikes have not had a proper valve adjustment in years and the cables are junk the brakes are shot, etc. Get those things right first. You can be driving it while you modifying it here & there!!
  • Perform your mods in smaller steps. The bikes I have seen turned to junk, and I think that IAN is referring to the guys started rippin', tearin' , and cuttin' and ended up with a total pile of crap. They cut the frame too far, tossed parts they still needed, or couldn't afford to replace, etc.
  • Work TOWARD your dream bike... SLOWLY and METHODICALLY.

This is my custom "DEAD DUCK". It's not really too far from stock but it has an entirely different feel and look. In my case the bike WAS one of those "Café Gone Wrong" attempts. I've replaced a bunch of OEM parts back onto the bike and modified the seat, rear fender, etc. as many of these parts were missing anyway. It's not quite finished but it should be up & running in a couple weeks.... I have a couple more items I would like to do including: HD Mufflers, move the pegs rearward, and maybe add some LED "bling".



Hope that helps.... Again, WELCOME! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Kurt
Thanx for the advise. I just asked you a question on your thread about your rear fender...
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2016, 01:14 PM
fredintoon's Avatar
fredintoon fredintoon is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Saskatoon SK
Posts: 6,795
Hi JR and welcome to XS11's world,
OK you've dumped the rototillers and the purple sail already.
So far, so good.
What you can do is swap in the larger tank from a Standard so you can look for something other than the next gas station when you are out for a ride.
It won't change the bike's look at all but you can deep six the octopus valve.
There's those that swear by them but what I reckon is that if it takes 9 hoses and taps with dual outlets to work right it's a problem just waiting to occur.
Me, I'd leave the fenders alone. They are short enough as it is and the front one also acts as a fork brace.
__________________
Fred Hill, S'toon
XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
"The Flying Pumpkin"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM
MindWebs's Avatar
MindWebs MindWebs is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Elmwood, WI
Posts: 425
fender, fork brace?

well, about that..

yes it was built that way.. but Tkat's fork brace is WAY Better.
http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118

just my 2 cents worth..
__________________
1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM
fredintoon's Avatar
fredintoon fredintoon is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Saskatoon SK
Posts: 6,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindWebs View Post
fender, fork brace?

well, about that..

yes it was built that way.. but Tkat's fork brace is WAY Better.
http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118

just my 2 cents worth..
Hi MindWebs,
Oh yes, Tkat's fork brace adds rigidity to the XS11's (compared to the bike's weight) scrawny front forks.
I have a Tkat and the stock fender on mine
__________________
Fred Hill, S'toon
XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
"The Flying Pumpkin"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:38 AM
mikubuilder mikubuilder is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Westland, Mich.
Posts: 548
Welcome to the madness...

As you can see in my sig, I'm in Westland, too...

Not much time to work on these, but I can always throw my 2 cents in
__________________
Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 AM
JRealHEMC's Avatar
JRealHEMC JRealHEMC is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westland, MI.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikubuilder View Post
Welcome to the madness...

As you can see in my sig, I'm in Westland, too...

Not much time to work on these, but I can always throw my 2 cents in
Thanx mikubuilder... Any spare parts? Lol
__________________
>>Insert clever statement here<<
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bobber, rear fender

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2022, jvbPlugin