Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
vaccume advance question

is there any reason the vaccume advance is connected to the number two carb, because i am setting my fj carbs to work with the vaccume advance and wanted to make sure it worked as it should. my thinking is that it shouldnt matter which carb it is connected to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i just want to make sure i am doing it right.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
jjz28's Avatar
jjz28 jjz28 is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Beckley, W. Va.
Posts: 1,023
I am not sure about that but i do know the connection on #2 is metered because i hooked my advance to the carb boot nipple and it started clanking because of too much vacuum so the one on the #2 carb is just the right amount of vacuum at the right time. It also makes a huge difference on how the bike runs with a load. My bike would rev awesome until i put it in gear to take off then i would have to rev it to move until i figured out my vacuum was unhooked then it ran great when i hooked it up.
__________________
Jeff
77 XS750 2D completely stock
79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,845
As long as the vacuum is ported, that is no vacuum at idle, it shouldn't matter which carb you use.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA80 View Post
As long as the vacuum is ported, that is no vacuum at idle, it shouldn't matter which carb you use.
thats what i thought.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
natemoen's Avatar
natemoen natemoen is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 8,621
I honestly think it is just put on an inside carb for protection of the nipple so that it does not get hit and snapped off.
__________________
Nathan
KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemoen View Post
I honestly think it is just put on an inside carb for protection of the nipple so that it does not get hit and snapped off.
that does make sense
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,620
Hey Folks,

He said he has FJ carbs, not XJ carbs, I just looked at the fiche and they don't show any vacuum ports on the carb bodies, just the fuel inlets, and the vent T's...surprised to see vent T's....Yamaha was able to eliminate those with the later style XS carbs, so wondering why they put it back on the FJ carbs?

But, we've talked about the vacuum advance vacuum source before, and you can't put it on the INTAKE BOOT port, the #2 XS/XJ carbs have the proper metered and controlled vac. port for the vac. adv.!

There has also been discussion of folks drilling a NON-XS/XJ carb to put a vac port on the carb body behind the butterfly valve.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
natemoen's Avatar
natemoen natemoen is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fargo
Posts: 8,621
Yeah, he is looking at drilling the FJ carbs for the vac advance.
__________________
Nathan
KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM
WMarshy's Avatar
WMarshy WMarshy is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mexico NY
Posts: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
Hey Folks,

He said he has FJ carbs, not XJ carbs, I just looked at the fiche and they don't show any vacuum ports on the carb bodies, just the fuel inlets, and the vent T's...surprised to see vent T's....Yamaha was able to eliminate those with the later style XS carbs, so wondering why they put it back on the FJ carbs?

But, we've talked about the vacuum advance vacuum source before, and you can't put it on the INTAKE BOOT port, the #2 XS/XJ carbs have the proper metered and controlled vac. port for the vac. adv.!

There has also been discussion of folks drilling a NON-XS/XJ carb to put a vac port on the carb body behind the butterfly valve.

T.C.
I think the folks you talk about are the ones who use the ZXR carbs. Do a search and you will probably find some tips on where to drill the hole and how big it needs to be.

Im interested in hearing how well the FJ carbs work. Keep us posted and if you can, write a how-to. Im going Friday to pick up a FJ parts bike and have been wondering if the carbs/exhaust can be used on the XS.
__________________
'79 XS11 F
Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMarshy View Post
I think the folks you talk about are the ones who use the ZXR carbs. Do a search and you will probably find some tips on where to drill the hole and how big it needs to be.

Im interested in hearing how well the FJ carbs work. Keep us posted and if you can, write a how-to. Im going Friday to pick up a FJ parts bike and have been wondering if the carbs/exhaust can be used on the XS.
i read that forum and know where to drill the hole, i just wanted to know if it mattered which carb to do it on. and from what i have read on here they have been used before on these bikes, and have had good reviews. So far all i can say is that there was no problem fitting them to the bike, and the guy that i got the carbs from set them up to use a single cable instead of the push/pull cables that the fj uses.

also TC i was looking at the vent T's what are those for exactlly.

Last edited by Nightengale; 04-18-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 PM
GARTHXS's Avatar
GARTHXS GARTHXS is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,556
id like too see what you come up with , because I havent the heart to drill into mine yet .
__________________
91 kwaka kz1000p
Stock


( Insert clever quote here )
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM
WMarshy's Avatar
WMarshy WMarshy is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mexico NY
Posts: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
i read that forum and know where to drill the hole, i just wanted to know if it mattered which carb to do it on. and from what i have read on here they have been used before on these bikes, and have had good reviews. So far all i can say is that there was no problem fitting them to the bike, and the guy that i got the carbs from set them up to use a single cable instead of the push/pull cables that the fj uses.

also TC i was looking at the vent T's what are those for exactlly.
Let us know how what he use to convert it over to pull cable.
__________________
'79 XS11 F
Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,845
I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

You know those POs we laugh at and hate at times? Don't become one.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
WMarshy's Avatar
WMarshy WMarshy is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mexico NY
Posts: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA80 View Post
I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

You know those POs we laugh at and hate at times? Don't become one.
LoL

There's no reason to believe that... the ZRX carbs worked fine with a hole drilled into them for vac advance...
__________________
'79 XS11 F
Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA80 View Post
I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

You know those POs we laugh at and hate at times? Don't become one.
I am not going to do it myself, the guy i got the carbs from is going to do it for me, he has a full machine shop and builds drag bikes for a living. yeah the last thing i need is to mess up my new carbs. so i will leave it to the pros. and i will ask him what he had to do to set the carbs for the single cable. I have to call him tomorow and will ask him then. on thing about my carbs is that they were originally set up to be used on a legands race car, and as far as i know all he did was to put in a heavier spring in it for the single cable to work, but i will check.

Last edited by Nightengale; 04-18-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carbs, mods, vaccume advance

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2020, jvbPlugin