Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 AM
XSive

The resurrection of a junkyard XS1100.

Well it's finally about done, mechanically sound now and running perfect with 62xxx miles on it. I now need only complete the electronic work to get the turn signals to work, any ideas on that? They stay on and do not blink and there doesn't appear to be any wiring for the rear ones.

Have pictures can post.

Mods include:
XJ rear master cylinder,
XJ front master cylinder,
XJ sport suspension rear,
XJ front fork with sport suspension
Slotted rotors from XJ?

(I bought an XJ on a whim for 150$ and the trans is trashed, i know i did a bad but i made a unique XS for sure.)

Anybody have any thought on how i can improve it with more Parts from the poor old XJ? Carbs are shot too unfortunately.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM

Turn signals will NOT work unless both front and rear are working. Rears should not be hard, one power wire for each side, and a GOOD GROUND.
If you let me know what you started with, year and model, I can get the wire colors for you if needed. You can trace the front signal wire back, and it should show the connection around the Right side cover, the location of the flasher. From there, if there is no wire, you should be able to run one back for each side. 16 Gauge wire is all you need for one bulb, plus a short bit for the ground.
XS1100 SF
1977 450SL Retirement winter vehicle
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM
XSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRay View Post
Turn signals will NOT work unless both front and rear are working. Rears should not be hard, one power wire for each side, and a GOOD GROUND.
If you let me know what you started with, year and model, I can get the wire colors for you if needed. You can trace the front signal wire back, and it should show the connection around the Right side cover, the location of the flasher. From there, if there is no wire, you should be able to run one back for each side. 16 Gauge wire is all you need for one bulb, plus a short bit for the ground.
It is a 78 i am fairly certain now. The rear brake lights work, in relation to that wiring cluster where should i look for the rear turns? I have had no luck looking for unused connections near the back.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM
XS-XJ Guru

rear signals

the wires were there from Yamaha, still should be unless someone did something real creative ? ? ?
80 XS 1100 SG
81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM
XS-XJ Guru

T/Sig

Original tail light/t sig wiring is behind the license tag. Wiring up top under seat is for tail lights/t sig too, but is redundant (duplicated).

The wires at the license tag run through the underside of the rear fender.
Custom Paint by Deitz
Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
Stebel Nautilus Horn
EBC Front Rotors
Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 PM

Here is the link for the VIN : http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
If you have a 2H7 00XXXX it's a '78, 2H7 02XXXX is a '79.
Left turn is Chocolate, Right turn is Dark Green. Black is ground. Blue is brake, and Yellow is tail light. This is on the '78 E model.
On the E&F models, look at the front of the chrome rear fender for a metal tab. There should be connectors tucked under it, and they will have the turn connections. If not, as Marty said, they do have a second set running through to the tail light, so you can put them in back for hard bags. Colors should be the same, but check with a VOM to be sure!
XS1100 SF
1977 450SL Retirement winter vehicle
Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM
XSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRay View Post
Here is the link for the VIN : http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
If you have a 2H7 00XXXX it's a '78, 2H7 02XXXX is a '79.
Left turn is Chocolate, Right turn is Dark Green. Black is ground. Blue is brake, and Yellow is tail light. This is on the '78 E model.
On the E&F models, look at the front of the chrome rear fender for a metal tab. There should be connectors tucked under it, and they will have the turn connections. If not, as Marty said, they do have a second set running through to the tail light, so you can put them in back for hard bags. Colors should be the same, but check with a VOM to be sure!
It is a 78. I found the wires they were snipped and taped with resistors to the ground, someone must've tried to delete the rears but if it did work it doesnt now. Gotta buy some bulbs and see what i can do.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM
XStremely XSive

I converted to an electronic flasher years ago.. I still kept my stock flasher/cancel unit in my parts box.. Just in case.
4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Master of XSology

Show it off!

LambdaMatters,

XS Southeast is in your back yard and coming up in a few weeks. Get on board and bring that thing to the rally! No excuses!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45816
Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM
XSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechmarty View Post
LambdaMatters,

XS Southeast is in your back yard and coming up in a few weeks. Get on board and bring that thing to the rally! No excuses!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45816
Would not having my license yet be an acceptable excuse? Would love to come but, yeah.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPittma100 View Post
Original tail light/t sig wiring is behind the license tag. Wiring up top under seat is for tail lights/t sig too, but is redundant (duplicated).

The wires at the license tag run through the underside of the rear fender.
That particular plug-in under seat and top-side of rear fender IS specificly for a trailer pug-in on the Venturer 1100. Mine is still there and original, as is all the rest of bikes wiring.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:32 PM
XSive

Reviving this old thread.

Firstly an apology i could not attend the meet, i am currently in full time tech school so time isn't something i have alot of. I have steadily been working on my xs, its all been good but now i am back on turn signals, i bought new lights and a new electronic flasher. Thus begins the issue, the lights work normally with the engine off, but they are dimly lit and do not flash with the engine running. I am thinking that there is a voltage on the ground somewhere but i have gone over the wiring diagrams and really dont know where to start.

I'll accept any ideas you guys may have!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Check what the voltage is with it running.
It sounds like the alternator is drawing power from the system but the rotor or stater would have to be very badly shorted to draw as much as it sounds like it is from your description.
80 XS 1100 SG
81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Hey Lambda,

A few more questions. Did you get a 3 prong or a 2 prong electronic flasher?? The correct type is a 2 prong. Yamaha uses the 3 leg for the self cancelling feature, but you can't find a generic automotive unit with that circuitry, so the 2 prong is the type you want.

Secondly, you said you got new lights....aftermarket I will assume. The front lights are dual filament design....for running lights...the blue wire, and also turn signals, the brown and green wires. The rears are ONLY turn signal lights, no running lights. If you got just single filament signals only, then you will need to NOT have the blue wires connected, just the green/brown ones. If you have the blue ones connected along with the green/brown ones, that can be part of the problem. Also, check the grounds for the lights. The oem design had the ground wires going to a large O ring/washer around the mounting shaft....but can corrode/rust both inside the headlight bucket, as well as in the underside of the rear fender. At least that's how it is on the specials....not positive if it's the same way for your "E".

T.C.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 PM
XSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
Hey Lambda,

A few more questions. Did you get a 3 prong or a 2 prong electronic flasher?? The correct type is a 2 prong. Yamaha uses the 3 leg for the self cancelling feature, but you can't find a generic automotive unit with that circuitry, so the 2 prong is the type you want.

Yes i got a 2 prong, and yes i got single filament bulbs, and yes i connected the blues without thinking about it, i suppose they may be feeding voltage into my relay?

I suppose i need to ground the bulbs instead of connecting the blue wires?

Tags
1100, find, junkyard, project