Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Other Bike Discussion

Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Truly XSive

Seat

Like Mike, I was expecting something over the top. I think it was a very conservative bit of work. It would have to be stock for me though. (No surprise there! ), but I think it looks nice.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:51 AM
XSive Maximus

Tank Repair - Seat

XS11 Friends,
Thanks again for the input on the seat. All-In-All, it isn't horrible and I have the OEM seat so I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back in about a minute. I wanted a little custom touch but also wanted a bike that looked restored. I can't have it both ways.....

The tank painting turned out pretty good and is certainly an improvement.

However, there is a bit of discrepancy in the paint quality. All the original paint on this machine is a pearl finish. Pearl requires three stages to perform properly (or so the guy at the PPG store tells me). I asked him to mix my paints single stage and he warned it would not be the level of quality of the three stage process (Base, Clear w/Flake, Clear). The paint "COLOR" is accurate. However, using single stage the "Flake" is not nearly as pronounced.

If I had a real paint booth, I might have went the other route. However, I'm painting in my backyard dealing with bugs, pollen, and etc. Shooting something three times is gonna be very difficult. I can wet sand off an spec of dust but not under multiple layers.

The difference in the painting methods would also have added another $200+ for supplies but several days before all the coats were on and finished so I have to live with a slightly lesser quality finish. Compared to where we started, the now wet sanded and buffed tank top is much nicer looking....(aside from that sharpie fix ).

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
1980 - XS1100SG - The Duck
1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Café
1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
1986 - FJ1200 - - Georgia Maverick
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 PM
XSive Maximus

Finally..... I can ride safely!!! Beware - "TIRES LOOK GOOD"

XS11 Friends,
FINALLY! I received the PROPER tire for my FJ1200. TWO suppliers sent me the WRONG tire! Apparently, many of these retailers get their tires from the same MIS-MARKED warehouse. Everyone kept sending me the ROUTE MT 66 instead of the Sport Demon I ordered. I use the ROUTE tire on all my XS11's and the XJ's. It's a great tire originally recommended to me by Marty as a cost effective and better quality tire alternative to the $hitKO. But it's not the proper tire for this bike.

As usual, the seller mentioned "The Tires Look Great" and they did, from a distance. But, a tire that is 27 YEARS OLD is just not safe! PERIOD. (Tire code reads the 17th week of 1993 as a pre-2000 3-digit date code. All post 2000 tires are a 4-digit code)

So I spent the day pulling this old piece of crap and installing and balancing my new Sport Demon. The front received it's new Sport Demon more than a month ago so now I'm riding on a properly matched pair in perfect condition.

Got a nice ride in and the difference was IMMEDIATELY apparent. The old tire was hard a rock and felt like a rock on every corner.... Hence, the bike had been sitting more than three weeks while I waited for the suppler to get me the CORRECT tire!

A good bit more to do to be ready for the Rally!!!! This ole' girl will be in North Carolina in September!!!

1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Last edited by kboehringer; 05-31-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 PM
XS-XJ Guru

4 oz of Ride-On through the valve stem would balance that tire right up Kurt. How medieval of you to use a balancer.

Okay, I couldn't resist. Back to your regularly scheduled programming... ...

‘01 ZRX 1200, only bike in the garage.

2020 Rally Link:
http://www.appleattic.net/XS2020/xs2020.html
Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 PM
Truly XSive

Good thing you posted something about this bike. I was going to give you until tomorrow for an update or I was going to pull your chain! Nothing like a new pair of shoes to enjoy. What do you have left to do?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 AM
XSive Maximus

The sort list remaining....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
What do you have left to do?
Here's the short list:
  • OIL PAN: Pull pan and clean, 30k on the ticker there is probably a bit of sludge in there I would like to get removed.
  • EXHAUST MANIFOLD: While the exhaust if off for the pan clean, I will replace the exhaust manifold with the perfect one from the '93 donor. The current manifold is probably OK but showing some rust. The one from the donor '93 looks perfect without any hint of rust.
  • REPLACE DRIVE CHAIN:. The chain was a rusty mess when I got the bike. I've lubed and worked it and it's loosened up but there still seems to be some sticky/binding areas. The best move is to replace the chain. Normally, one would replace all the components (both sprockets & chain). However, the sprockets look really great and show ZERO signs of wear. I believe the long period of inactivity damaged the chain beyond what lube can do to repair.
  • VALVES: Re-Check all the valve adjustments to be certain all 16 valves are as perfect as possible.
  • COSMETICS: Still need the accents for the chin spoiler and a little touch-up on some of the red.... I don't plan a full re-paint so I will do what I can.
  • CUSTOM BACK REST: There is a guy GERAUD on the FJR forum that makes custom brackets and backrests for the FJR community. He has agreed to fabricate a custom backrest using the chicken handles behind the seat as a mount. Nancy is unwilling to ride on the back without some form of restraint to keep her from sliding off the back during acceleration.
  • WIND SCREEN: If I can find a nice one, the lettering on the current windscreen is damaged (It's printed in gold on the underside and was damaged due to weathering when the bike was apparently outside a long time)
  • REAR VIEW MIRRORS: Mirrors are total crap with the reflective coating damaged. Again, most likely from the bike spending a LOT of time outdoors. I tried some aftermarket replacements but they were garbage and totally wrong for the bike. Nancy purchased new OEM Yamaha mirrors for me from Partzilla for over $250! . Unfortunately, they won't ship until late June/July. I guess they are coming from Japan....

Most everything else is either new or rebuilt: New Brakes, Brake Lines, Tires, Master Cylinders, Calipers Rebuilt, Carbs Completely Rebuilt....

1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis