Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Members Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM
puskrat's Avatar
puskrat puskrat is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 309
Fairing

Me again. My 80G was Venturerized by one of the P O's. I have all the luggage off for paint and the fairing off, too. Several pieces have broken off the fairing around the mounting holes. Some of them are "rebreaks", as the material left behind shows repair work. I don't love the idea of bondo or fiberglass work, and I'm not even sure I want a fairing. Friends tell me I don't want to go on the highway without one. If I DO want to re-fair it, is there anything that is going to fit on my bike?
__________________
"Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2018, 03:23 PM
madmax-im's Avatar
madmax-im madmax-im is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Comfort...Wendell NC
Posts: 6,497
Your friends are correct in that an LD ride on the highway will certainly get very tiring without a windbreak from a frame mounted fairing..If it were mine I would have it fiberglass repaired and re mounted on existing brackets...
If on the other hand your mission is dayrides mostly on 2 laners..then I would say take it off...
But again hwy riding , the wind and weather protection will make the journey less fatiquing..less tiring..thus you will be able to ride more comfortably..Comfort is the name of the game...
BTW try riding a day on the hwy without a fairing @ say 65 -70 mph..and tell me how you feel at the end of the day..
__________________
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250S
1979 Yamaha XS1100F SwampThing
2001 Honda ST1100 SouThern Belle... Sold...
1982 XJ1100 MadMax... Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by madmax-im; 07-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2018, 04:35 PM
puskrat's Avatar
puskrat puskrat is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 309
cONGRATS. I'm worn out just reading about it
__________________
"Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM
madmax-im's Avatar
madmax-im madmax-im is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Comfort...Wendell NC
Posts: 6,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by puskrat View Post
cONGRATS. I'm worn out just reading about it
Well then you definitely need that fairing...
__________________
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250S
1979 Yamaha XS1100F SwampThing
2001 Honda ST1100 SouThern Belle... Sold...
1982 XJ1100 MadMax... Gone but not forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 AM
DiverRay's Avatar
DiverRay DiverRay is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Aptos, CA (Santa Cruz County) 831-234-8721 C
Posts: 6,551
The fairing is PLASTIC. Fiberglass does NOT adhere to the plastic.(DAMHIKIJN)
Get the glue for the black pipe, and a small bit of the pipe. Shave the pipe into small bits with a surfoarm file. This looks like a rounded or flat grader. Put the bits into some of the glue, and use it to re-assemble the fairing. What I ended up doing with one repair is taking some wire mesh, and using the glue to soften the plastic push a cut to fit piece mesh into the area that you are fixing. This acts as a reinforcement for the plastic. You can shape it so it goes up into the inner portions of the fairing to beef it up. The metal mesh will keep it from breaking again.
__________________
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Kawasaki Concours, BLACK
R1200RT Totaled 11-15-2016
XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
'99 altima, rain vehicle with ft8900.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 AM
madmax-im's Avatar
madmax-im madmax-im is offline
Master of XSology
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Comfort...Wendell NC
Posts: 6,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRay View Post
The fairing is PLASTIC. Fiberglass does NOT adhere to the plastic.(DAMHIKIJN)
Get the glue for the black pipe, and a small bit of the pipe. Shave the pipe into small bits with a surfoarm file. This looks like a rounded or flat grader. Put the bits into some of the glue, and use it to re-assemble the fairing. What I ended up doing with one repair is taking some wire mesh, and using the glue to soften the plastic push a cut to fit piece mesh into the area that you are fixing. This acts as a reinforcement for the plastic. You can shape it so it goes up into the inner portions of the fairing to beef it up. The metal mesh will keep it from breaking again.
Wow an essay..I'm pooped my eyes hurt...
__________________
2007 Suzuki Bandit1250S
1979 Yamaha XS1100F SwampThing
2001 Honda ST1100 SouThern Belle... Sold...
1982 XJ1100 MadMax... Gone but not forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,676
Or, just redrill the mounting holes in a spot with more material and lay a piece of aluminum flat stock over the top and bolt through that. Sammich the busted part of the fairing. If you get my drift.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Visit XS11.org too......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 PM
ks80xs ks80xs is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bedford, TX.
Posts: 39
I was just browsing the site and I came across this topic and I'm a stock 80G with fairing and saddlebags owner (2 actually) and I hate to pop in here like this but I've had a little experience with this.

When I purchased my 2nd 80G with Fairing, it had been laid down once or twice and it had broken plastic (diveray was right-ABS plastic) around the bolt holes on the flat rails that bolt to the mounting frame at the base of the fairing.

What I did which worked very well, was to purchase a double barrel ABS epoxy plastic syringe from Lowes for like $10.00 bucks, framed out the broken area with a retainer (I used tape) to form the new base around the broken bolt holes, squirted the syringe epoxy into the void, mixed with a swizzle stick right there in the void and that stuff adhered and hardened just as solid as the fairing itself, drilled out a new bolt hole, bolted fairing back on the mounting frame and I have ridden that thing for at least 2 years without any vibration or further cracking.

Now depending on the amount of damage that you have, you might have to drill holes for better anchoring or do exactly what diveray said, install another additional type of reinforcement, I'm just sayin what worked for me in my situation

Good luck on your repair!
__________________
80 G "Black Mamba" Brothers Restored
80 G "Red Hot Moma" Custom Restore
81 H "Original" Collectible (Sold )
05 HD "Mistress" Custom E-Glide
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM
skids's Avatar
skids skids is offline
XS-XJ Super Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Florissant, CO, USA
Posts: 4,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks80xs View Post
I was just browsing the site and I came across this topic and I'm a stock 80G with fairing and saddlebags owner (2 actually) and I hate to pop in here like this but I've had a little experience with this.

When I purchased my 2nd 80G with Fairing, it had been laid down once or twice and it had broken plastic (diveray was right-ABS plastic) around the bolt holes on the flat rails that bolt to the mounting frame at the base of the fairing.

What I did which worked very well, was to purchase a double barrel ABS epoxy plastic syringe from Lowes for like $10.00 bucks, framed out the broken area with a retainer (I used tape) to form the new base around the broken bolt holes, squirted the syringe epoxy into the void, mixed with a swizzle stick right there in the void and that stuff adhered and hardened just as solid as the fairing itself, drilled out a new bolt hole, bolted fairing back on the mounting frame and I have ridden that thing for at least 2 years without any vibration or further cracking.

Now depending on the amount of damage that you have, you might have to drill holes for better anchoring or do exactly what diveray said, install another additional type of reinforcement, I'm just sayin what worked for me in my situation

Good luck on your repair!
I did something similar (although probably not as good) to a faring where the right rear corner had fractured off -- including the mounting hole! I used epoxy resin and layers of fiberglass matting. It is ugly from the outside along the tank, and the layers were built up on the inside while still tacky (also ugly but who looks in there). It is a messy process and I had to operate from inside the faring by feel. The outside of the faring was undamaged. That was many years ago and my brother now owns it. I would go with the ABS epoxy in retrospect! I like the idea of metal reinforcement along the top mounting edge in your case. Make sure that the rubber dampers provide the right clearances for mounting so that each hole gets the same force from bolts and use nuts with the plastic inserts (lock nuts?)
__________________
Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to two 1978 E's. Both stock air boxes with K&N filters, one with 81H pipes and carbs,
One with Jardine 4-1 pipes. 8500 feet elevation.
03 Honda ST1300 ABS
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:24 PM
ks80xs ks80xs is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bedford, TX.
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA80 View Post
Or, just redrill the mounting holes in a spot with more material and lay a piece of aluminum flat stock over the top and bolt through that. Sammich the busted part of the fairing. If you get my drift.
Now that I read BA80s comments a little closer, I do recall that before I made the Exopy repairs, I did have 2 strips of flat metal 1/16”x 3/4” that I drilled out mounted on the top side of mounting edge to hold my fairing down, if yours has that much damage that works well too, “if” you have enough of of the mounting edge left!!
__________________
80 G "Black Mamba" Brothers Restored
80 G "Red Hot Moma" Custom Restore
81 H "Original" Collectible (Sold )
05 HD "Mistress" Custom E-Glide
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM
puskrat's Avatar
puskrat puskrat is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 309
I appreciate everyone's inputs. It's been a while since my post, and even longer since I layed eyes on the fairing and damage. Until I can reconstruct the failure(s), I can't reconstruct the piece. If I can get some garage time I can get into making things better. Thanks again, people.
__________________
"Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2018, jvbPlugin