Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Truly XSive

Exclamation clutch adjustment

Put about 400 miles on the 79 over the weekend. Had a blast . I am however a little concerned because the clutch adjustment seems to be kinda out of whack now . The clutch will engage when taking off from a stop, But is engaging cold almost to where it is fully out.
I do not remember this being an issue in the past. Is there a way to bring the catch point in on the lever? I am far from the clutch guru and am curious what has changed. I would hope the clutch isn"t going out. The bike has about 18000 on the odometer. There is no slip while riding. Just a little more finicky taking off from a stop than she used to be.

Help!!!!

Gary
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Back off the cable adjustment so cable is free/loose. Remove inspection cover on clutch side ans loosen the lock nut and rotate inner screw inward till it lightly bottoms. Then back it out a quarter-turn and tighten lock-nut. Back to cable adjustment leaving adjusted so there is no tension on cable when engaged.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Doctor of XSology(Deceased)

Yep, start by adjusting the clutch. Here is the tech tip

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
93 GSX600F
80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
81 XS1100 Special
81 CB750 C
80 CB750 C
78 XS750
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Truly XSive

pictures?

Does anyone have a picture of what the adjustment screw and locknut look like. I haven"t pulled it apart but don't want to get in over my head an mess something up.

Which side is the clutch adjustment panel on?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk45241 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of what the adjustment screw and locknut look like. I haven"t pulled it apart but don't want to get in over my head an mess something up.

Thanks,
Gary
The clutch is on the right side of the bike. It has 2 phillips-head screws holding a round cover on. Remove those 2 screws, and you'll see the mechanism. Do you have a manual? You can download one from the link in my signature if you need it. There are pictures in there.
Here's my web page devoted to my bike! There are a few resources there. XS/XJ User's Manuals, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

I had one do that suddenly and the cable broke soon after! I think the strands were breaking...

"Don't argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
XStremely XSive

I had to replace the clutch on my '78 this off season (started slipping at high r's and throttle angle), just crossed 18,000 miles. Out of curiosity I mic'd the friction plates and found they averaged .010 inches thinner than the replacements each, that's huge when you multiply by 8 plates!
If you do end up replaceing the clutch, it's a great time to switch to synthetic oil if you are so inclined, as there seems to be an annecdotal corelation betweewn old clutches, synthetics, and slipping. I,ve got synthetic oil now and a perfect clutch, it'll lift the front wheel if I'm not carefull.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk45241 View Post

Thanks,
Gary
Hey Gary,

Here's a picture from the Clutch plates/extra steel tech tip, showing the 12mm box end and phillips screwdriver in position for doing the adjustment. You don't have to remove the cable from the lever, but ensuring it has some slack at the handlebar first would be good.

T.C.